Prophecy: The Signature of God
- Part 29
- Series: The Power of the Book You Can TRUST - Unleashing the Inspired Word Into Your Life
- Date: Sep 7, 2008 | Passage: Revelation 1:3
Press play to listen online:
As we open to Revelation 1:3, may I remind you that there are seven reasons you should trust God's Word. These are the reasons we willingly seek to keep our minds filled with God's Word, the absolutely trustworthy record of God's voice.
The first reason I am convinced of the trustworthiness of God's Word is prophecy. God tells us exactly what He is going to do in the future, long before He does it. That act of God, declaring in minute, clear, and amazing detail the events of the future, is called biblical prophecy.
Prophecy: God's Signature Across His Word
Life is hard, the world is sometimes bleak, and we often need help to continue going against the flow of the world and seek God. May I give you the single most encouraging aspect of my spiritual life? Each day I get so recharged and renewed by God's Word that I can go and face another day. By spending time with the God who has left me a daily reminder of Who He is and what He is doing, I can see and test and have my faith renewed!
The Bible you hold in your hands is like no other book because God says, "I am watching over my Word to perform it" (Jeremiah 1:12). That declaration made by the Lord Himself is what I like to call the signature of God. This authenticating, verifying, faith-building record God has left for us is the signature of God in His Word, the Bible. Have you studied the signature of God lately? The bottom line of a study of the prophetic signature of God leads us to what God offers-living hope that comes by walking each day with the God you can know and trust.
For ten years I wrote my dissertation for Dallas Theological Seminary on the prophetic signature God left across the pages of His Word. That study was made into a personal devotional book of 365 daily studies taking believers on a faith-building, hope-filled journey through the Book of Revelation. I'd like to share with you just a few thoughts from my book, Living Hope for the End of Days.
Prophecy: The Test to Show Who Is God
As we begin tracing God's prophetic signature, open with me to Isaiah 41 and look at the challenge He makes: " ‘Present your case,' says the LORD. ‘Bring forth your strong reasons,' says the King of Jacob. ‘Show the things that are to come hereafter, that we may know that you are gods; yes, do good or do evil, that we may be dismayed and see it together' " (Isaiah 41:21, 23). Only the one and true God can predict the future with absolute accuracy, and He is the One we are to trust.
1. Only trust the Book from the God Who reveals the future.
2. Only trust the Book from the God prophecy describes.
In Isaiah 42:5-9 we find the second element of God's verification through His prophetic signature. He says:
- He is the Creator: "Thus says God the LORD, Who created the heavens and stretched them out, Who spread forth the earth and that which comes from it, Who gives breath to the people on it, and spirit to those who walk on it" (v. 5).
- He is the Sustainer: " ‘I, the LORD, have called You in righteousness, and will hold Your hand; I will keep You and give You as a covenant to the people, as a light to the Gentiles' " (v. 6).
- He is the Redeemer: " ‘To open blind eyes, to bring out prisoners from the prison, those who sit in darkness from the prison house. I am the LORD, that is My name; and My glory I will not give to another, nor My praise to carved images' " (v. 7).
- He is the Revealer: " ‘Behold, the former things have come to pass, and new things I declare; before they spring forth I tell you of them' " (v. 9).
3. Only trust the Book from the God prophecy shows is reliable.
The third element of God's verification through His prophetic signature is in Isaiah 46:9-10. He says:
- He is Unique: "Remember the former things of old, for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me" (v. 9).
- He is Accurate: "Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things that are not yet done" (v. 10a).
- He is Reliable: "Saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will do all My pleasure' " (v. 10b).
4. Only trust the Book from the God Who does all He says.
For the fourth element of God's verification through His prophetic signature, look at Isaiah 48:3, 5. He says:
"I have declared the former things from the beginning; they went forth from My mouth, and I caused them to hear it. Suddenly I did them, and they came to pass. Even from the beginning I have declared it to you; before it came to pass I proclaimed it to you, lest you should say, ‘My idol has done them, and my carved image and my molded image have commanded them' " (Isaiah 48:3, 5, emphasis added).
5. Only trust the Book from the God who determines our eternal destiny.
Now look at Isaiah 48:17-18, 22 for the final element of God's verification through His prophetic signature. He says:
- He is our Redeemer: "Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel" (v. 17a).
- He is our Teacher: " ‘I am the LORD your God, Who teaches you to profit' " (v. 17b).
- He is our Leader: " ‘Who leads you by the way you should go' " (v. 17c).
- He is our Peace-Giver: " ‘Oh, that you had heeded My commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea. There is no peace,' says the Lord, ‘for the wicked' " (vv. 18, 22).
So the Great and Mighty God, who has proven Himself real, reliable, and trustworthy offers eternal peace. It is He who declares to us exactly what lies ahead in the future, and it is only He who can give true peace.
Choices That Give Us Living Hope
Right now, our great and mighty God has His hand reaching down from heaven to each of us. He says to us:
- I am your Creator (Isaiah 42:5). God made you just like you are in order to do what no one else can do-"You are my special, precious child. Trust Me, follow Me, worship Me."
We need to from our spirits respond to Him as Creator by saying: I will trust You Lord, I will follow You Lord, and I will worship You Lord.
- I am your Sustainer (Isaiah 42:6). God wants to hold your hand and keep you-"Trust Me enough to grab My hand, and love Me enough to let Me shine through your life."
We need to from our spirits respond to Him as Sustainer by saying: By faith, from this moment forward, I want to reach up each new day I live and hold onto Your Hand to show that I really do trust You. I want to love You so that others see Your love in me.
- I am your Redeemer (Isaiah 42:7, 48:17a). God bought and paid for you with a great price, Christ's blood-"Realize anew that you are not your own; you belong to Me. Decide anew that what you say, where you go, what you wear, and how you fill your time will bring honor to Me as your God."
We need to from our spirits respond to Him as Redeemer by saying: Thank You for buying me; I am unworthy of Your love. I belong to You, so I want You to be pleased today with what I say, where I go, what I wear, and how I spend my priceless moments of life.
- I am your Revealer (Isaiah 42:9). God has spoken in this Word you hold. He leads you through His Word, comforts and keeps you with His Word, and changes you to be more like Christ by His Word-"Let My Word fill your mind and life."
We need to from our spirits respond to Him as Revealer by saying: I want to dig into Your Word today and spend time with You, my Lord. I want to feel Your comfort, I want to follow Your will for my life, and I want to be changed by You to be a little more like Jesus today than I was yesterday.
- I am your Leader (Isaiah 48:17c).God has given to us the pathway we are to follow in life (Psalm 16:11); and He alone is the Guide we can safely follow- "I want to guide and keep you, and I want you to follow and trust Me."
We need to from our spirits respond to Him as Leader by saying: I want to follow Your path. I will submit to You as my Leader today. When the path gets rough or I begin to fear, I want to reach up again and take Your hand stretched out to me.
- I am your Peace-Giver (Isaiah 48:18).God has told us over and over that great peace belongs to all who will love and obey His Word (Psalm 119:165). He offers peace that flows like a river through every part of our lives, and He offers a cleansing wave of His grace across the beaches of our lives so that we can walk on each day of life with a fresh, new beginning.
We need to from our spirits respond to Him as Peace-Giver by saying: I want Your peace every moment. Keep me in that perfect peace (Isaiah 26:3), and I will do my part-I will keep my mind focused on You. When I feel restless, I will repent of whatever wickedness prompted that feeling, look back at You, and thank You for Your river of peace and waves of righteousness.
 John S. Barnett, Living Hope for the End of Days, (Tulsa, OK: Discover the Book Ministries, 2007), pp. 34-35.