The Holy Spirit in II Corinthians
- Part 14
- Series: Life of New Beginnings
- Date: Sep 29, 1991
Press play to listen online:
On November 4th, 1922, the world sat breathlessly as the wonders and treasures of the fables tomb of Tutankhamun was awaited. A staircase, cut into the solid bedrock had been overlooked by the grave robbers of the centuries.
As the door was reached on November 26th, after 20,000 pounds of dust, dirt and rock were carried out a basket full at a time. But then Lord Carnovan, led by Howard Carter gazed on as the torches lit the shadows. Then they saw it, the ancient seal still hung, intact on the door. The Ancient Scarab beetle in the wax signified the tomb was still as it was when the eighteen year old king died.
3,200 years ago when the Exodus of the children of
v First, what has God done in your life?
v His Holy Spirit has Sealed You TO BE TRIPLY SECURE IN CHRIST!
2 Corinthians 1:21-22 Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God; Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts. (KJV)
The Significance of a Seal in the Ancient World
The ancient world recognized the sealing of goods. This was the pressing of a signet into soft wax across the opening of a document, tomb, sealed box and so on.
The seal assured three things:
- AUTHENTICITY, it Certified the contents as an authentic possession.
- OWNERSHIP, it Signified the presence of the owner was there.
- SECURITY, it Verified the image of the signet was transferred, and with it all the power of the owner.
AUTHENTICITY The Holy Spirit is poured out on us “Anointed” is our signature of God. It is our security of authenticity, the divine stamp. We are SIGNED!
- John 1:12 – He gave the power, it is a gracious gift.
- John 3:34 – He is measureless and Inexhaustible.
- First John 2:20 – Anointed with Holy Spirit – Personal
OWNERSHIP The Holy Spirit “Seals” us. This is our security of divine ownership. He is our precious possession. We are SEALED!
What are some of the practical applications of this truth to our lives?
- The Holy Spirit Sealing Us Authenticates and certifies that we belong to God. Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also [trusted], after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with the holy Spirit of promise, (KJV)
- The Holy Spirit Sealing Us is a reminder that God has given us a reminder of His ownership that goes with us everywhere. I Corinthians 6:20 For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s (NKJV)
- The Holy Spirit Sealing Us expresses God’s presence in our lives. Matthew 28:18-20 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, “teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, [even] to the end of the age.” Amen. (NKJV) 2 Corinthians 2:14 Now thanks [be] to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffused the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. (NKJV)
- The Holy Spirit Sealing Us is the transfer of His image into our lives. 2 Corinthians 3:18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord. (NKJV)
Now look at 2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves [as to] whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in your? – unless indeed you are disqualified. (NKJV)
- Are your contents authentic?
- Does the Holy Spirit bear witness that you are His?
- Is the presence of God evident in your life?
- Do you look more and more like Jesus every day? [Fruit of Spirit]
SECURITY II Corinthians 1:22 says the Holy Spirit has signed, Sealed and delivered us for God. The Holy Spirit has also given to us as a pledge. God delivered us our engagement ring. This is the security of divine protection. We are delivered God’s engagement ring. It is a pledge that there is even more to come.
So II Corinthians 1:21-22 says we have a powerful, triply secure salvation.
v Secondly, what has God sealed us for?
v His Holy Spirit has sealed us TO BE EPISTLES OF CHRIST.
Look at 2 Corinthians 3:3 clearly [you are] an epistle of Christ, ministered by us, written not with ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of flesh, [that is,] of the heart. (NKJV)
Do you see the plan? We are the love letters of God. Written in our lives, signed and sealed by the Spirit, delivered as a down payment to empower us to go out and be read by the world! So testifying of Christ is not an option. It is the very reason for which we have been made.
Each of us have become His book, written by Christ, published or circulated by the Holy Spirit into the world, taking God’s love to sinful mankind. We are bound not in full grain leather, but in a human life.
- Are you carrying the priceless message of Christ into the world?
- Does your lifestyle advertise your true contents? Does your dress, deportment, modesty, conduct and language support your message or confuse it?
- Is the Holy Spirit writing on your life fresh messages from His Word? Is the Eternal truth coming through? How sacred is our calling.
v Finally, what has God sealed us to become?
v His Holy Spirit has sealed to become SNAPSHOTS OF CHIRST!
2 Corinthians 3:18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord. (NJKV)
The Holy Spirit wants the image of Jesus to be a full color photo in our lives. We are not just His epistles, or letters. We are full color, living Photos. We are movies, videos of Jesus. They want proof that He is real and alive? HE LIVES WITHIN MY HEART!
Unveiled like the camera lens to get a clear exposure. Let’s lay aside the world, our flesh, our bad habits, our wrong desires, our mixed up priorities, our personal grievances, our petty strife, our bitterness. All must be rid of to be a clear photograph.
Signed, Sealed and Delivered Epistles. Illustrating Christ to a dark and hopeless World. That is what the Holy Spirit wants to do with you. Are you willing?