The Scientific Foundation For Our Faith Is Genesis 1:1
- Part 33
- Series: The Power of the Book You Can TRUST - Unleashing the Inspired Word Into Your Life
- Date: Oct 5, 2008 | Passage: Genesis 1:1
Press play to listen online:
Creation is central to the Bible as the Creator Himself opens the pages of the Scriptures and introduces Himself.
The Gospel of Salvation from Genesis to Revelation is all about the Creator coming to save those created in His image. So, there is always in God's Word the Bible—a link between Creation, the Creator, and Salvation. With that in mind turn with me to the first ten words that open the Bible, Genesis 1:1.
What would be the most important message to every human on Earth ?
I believe that foundational to EVERYTHING we believe and hold as true are the first ten words of Genesis. These words are vital to all parts of life, and crucial to the destiny of our souls.
In order that we never miss those vital words, God put them at the front of the Bible.
These are the first words Jesus and the Apostles read at their mother’s knees. For all Jewish children were taught to read starting with the Torah, the first five books of Moses. Why don’t we read them together! Let us listen to the Voice of God the Creator, speaking out to us through His Word:
In the last book of the Bible, at the end of the world, as the earth is crumbling, and demon monsters are stalking humans, and people are dying faster than at any moment since the great flood of Genesis 6-8—what does God do?
God the Savior dispatches 24 legions of Jewish evangelists (14:1-5) numbering 144,000; and if that were not enough, God dispatches another global evangelist, an angel that flies around the world loudly telling those who will hear the only hope of salvation from the tsunami of death around them.
Have you read those words of hope lately? What message does God give to people hopelessly trapped on this doomed planet? If you look carefully at His message of salvation in Revelation 14:6-7, it is the message of salvation given by the Creator Himself.
Before each of us this day, are not only crystal clear details on the opening day of the Cosmos in Genesis 1-2, but also the Creator’s personal revelation to His creatures about everything else we would ever need to know. God's Word is the doorway to life as God intended for it to be. Genesis is the start of the pathway to the Divinely revealed secrets of:
• How to live forever (John 10);
• How to have a joy-filled marriage (Proverbs 5);
• How to experience real love (I Corinthians 13)
• How to be prosperous and successful (Josh 1);
• How to never fear the future (John 14); and
• How to conquer any and every bondage (Hebrews 2).
The Immense God: who is vastly beyond all that exists, and has always been, before the Universe began—has revealed Himself in the Scriptures.
The Awesome Creator: who has attested to His might by the countless stars, galaxies and mysteries of the Cosmos out there—has opened His mind for us to explore.
The Endless of Days: who sees us who are as frail as dust and fleeting as shadows, has placed before us His Eternal Word to have, to hold, to love and to live.
And that God has written down exactly how the Universe in totality, and each of us humans individually, came to be. That is the content of the authoritative, absolutely trustworthy Bible’s Creation Account in Genesis 1-2.
But we have a choice before us:
• Either we take God at His Word—or we do not.
• Either we believe what Christ and His Apostles and Prophets believed and taught, and have a Bible we can trust—or we do not.
• Either we believe His direct, immediate, and quite recent creation of this world, and the surrounding Universe—or we do not.
But before you dismiss Creationism as impossibly unscientific consider again the facts of science seen in what may be described as the:
There are less than a trillion galaxies in the known universe. Each galaxy has about 100 billion stars. So, in the entire known universe there are less than: 1 trillion x 100 billion stars that could have a planetary system.
Scientists of our world have observed the parameters of life--the ingredients that must surround us so that we can live here on Earth. Before we sent men to the moon we had to find exactly what they needed to live out in space. Those parameters can also be applied to this world in which we live.
There are hundreds, probably thousands of different elements needed to sustain human life on earth. But let me just list off enough elements that are so complex, so reflective of Divine Design, they could never evolve anywhere in the known universe—there are not enough stars out there to give enough chances for life to arise.
Life on Earth is tied to the Sun, the Moon, and the Galaxy, as well as this planet. The following are the minimum parameters of a planet, its moon, its star, and its galaxy that must have values, falling within narrowly defined ranges, for life of any kind to exist. What we find is that in every way our planet is made perfectly for human life to exist.
- Consider the number of stars in the planetary system: if more than one: tidal interactions would disrupt planetary orbits; if less than one: heat produced would be insufficient for life.
- Our Sun’s age: if older: luminosity of star would change too quickly; if younger: luminosity of star would change too quickly
- Our Sun’s mass: if greater: luminosity of star would change too quickly; star would bum too rapidly; if less: range of distances appropriate for life would be too narrow; tidal forces would disrupt the rotational period for a planet of the right distance; UV radiation would be inadequate for plants to make sugars and oxygen
- Our Sun’s color: if redder: photosynthetic response would be insufficient; if bluer: photosynthetic response would be insufficient.
- Our Sun luminosity relative to speciation: if increases too soon: would develop runaway greenhouse effect; if increases too late: would develop runaway glaciation.
- Earth’s surface gravity (escape velocity) is perfect for life: if stronger: planet's atmosphere would retain too much ammonia and methane; if weaker: planet's atmosphere would lose too much water.
- Earth’s distance from our Sun is perfect for life: if farther: planet would be too cool for a stable water cycle; if closer: planet would be too warm for a stable water cycle.
- Earth’s axial tilt is perfect for life: if greater: surface temperature differences would be too great; if less: surface temperature differences would be too great.
- Earth’s rotation period is perfect for life: if longer: diurnal temperature differences would be too great; if shorter: atmospheric wind velocities would be too great.
- Earth’s magnetic field is perfect for life: if stronger: electromagnetic storms would be too severe; if weaker: ozone shield and life on the land would be inadequately protected from hard stellar and solar radiation.
- Each of these 23 parameters cannot exceed certain limits without disturbing a planet’s capacity to support life. So just these elements would probably make Earth the ONLY planet suited for human life in the Universe.
But there are dozens of other parameters, such as atmospheric transparency, pressure, and temperature gradient, other greenhouse gases, location of different gases and minerals, and mantle and core constituents and structures, that currently are being researched for their sensitivity in supporting life.
So, on the basis of just the above listed factors, what are our:
Life Support Planet
We can say with a nearly statistical, and mathematical certainty that only much fewer than a trillionth of a trillionth of a percent of all stars could possibly possess, without the divine intervention seen through anthropic design, a planet-capable of sustaining advanced life.
Considering that the observable universe contains less than a trillion galaxies, each averaging a hundred billion stars, we can see that not even one planet would be expected, by natural processes alone, to possess the necessary conditions to sustain life.
These factors would seem to indicate that the galaxy, the sun, the earth, and the moon, in addition to the universe, have undergone divine design. If divine design is essential to explain the properties of simpler systems such as the universe, our galaxy, and the solar system, how much more necessary is God's involvement to explaining systems as complex as organisms, including human beings?
That is why the Scientific accuracy of the only eyewitness account of Creation is so vital to each of us. Within those words we find all that there is: God, the Universe He made, and the end He describes.
That’s it, God has spoken, His Words are true, and everything is encompassed in those words. And from God's Word flow all of guidelines God has given for us to meet Him, and to know Him, and to please Him.
In other words, no book of the Scriptures matters more because EVERY BOOK OF THE BIBLE RESTS ON THIS ONE!
Foundation for Everything
If the God of Genesis 1 is unreliable so is the One in every other part of the Scriptures.
Either you utterly trust the God you meet in Genesis 1, or you have nothing else. He is the same. He does not change. The book of Genesis is the foundation for the doctrines that follow. Everything you base your Eternal destiny upon starts in Genesis:
The Doctrine of INSPIRATION teaches us that: it was the Creator in Genesis who WROTE the Scriptures!
The Doctrine of the DEITY OF CHRIST teaches us that: it was the Creator in Genesis is the One who DIED for you and me!
Hebrews 1:3 who being the brightness of [His] glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, (NKJV)
The Doctrine of FINAL JUDGMENT teaches us that: it is the CREATOR in Genesis is the ONE we will all someday face to enter Heaven or Hell!
The Doctrine of SALVATION teaches us that: the CREATOR of Genesis is the ONLY ONE who could have died in your place on the Cross!
So what should our response be to our CREATOR we meet in the first pages of this absolutely trustworthy book of of God's Word the Bible called Genesis?
WE MUST WORSHIP OUR CREATOR
Revelation 4:11 "You are worthy, O Lord, To receive glory and honor and power; For You created all things, And by Your will they exist and were created." (NKJV)
What could matter more than to know what God has said and to obey it! What you believe about Genesis will also determine your available truth to live by. Why?
- Genesis is the gateway to the True God, the Creator and Redeemer.
- It is the Foundation of our ORIGIN, PURPOSE and DESTINY!
- It is the only proper way to understand Geology, Anthropology, History, Philosophy and so on.
- It is the only authoritative word on male, female, marriage, family, government.
- It alone records the start of sin, evil, cultures, language, Israel and all.
What you believe about Genesis will determine your life, family and ministry. Why?
- If our children are not taught truth they can hold onto they will drift from the faith and shipwreck. Rom. 1.18
- So guard their schooling
- Shield their exposure to error and false teaching.
- Promote much exposure to the truth daily.
- Lead them by example to the Fellowship of Christ’s Body - bring them to church!
If a saintly blue collar worker is of more value than a pagan doctor, lawyer, sport star, politician or business person - then guard and teach the truth. Matthew 16:26 "For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? (NKJV)
All attempts to compromise the Scriptures should be resisted. There are some popular views some Christians hold that are very dangerous:
- Gap Theory destroys Adam’s original sin. It puts him at the head of a creation that sits atop a multi-billion year old graveyard of fossils. This monument to sin, death and destruction before Adam is incongruous to the Word of God.
Romans 5:12 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned -- (NKJV)
- Age Day Theory destroys the reliability of the text. It is repeatedly stated and believed by the Scripture writers that the account of Gen 1 is true. The age Day Theory states the sun had to come before the fourth epoch. So the scriptures can’t be trusted.
Revelation 14:7 saying with a loud voice, "Fear God and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment has come; and worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea and springs of water." (NKJV) = We must respond to our CREATOR
- Our Creator is the Judge first by water then by fire.
2 Peter 3:3-7 knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, 4 and saying, "Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as [they were] from the beginning of creation." 5 For this they willfully forget: that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of water and in the water, 6 by which the world [that] then existed perished, being flooded with water. 7 But the heavens and the earth [which] are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. (NKJV)
- Christ as creator is the head of the Church and He alone gives us the order for Leadership, home, church, role of men and women, standards of modesty, etc.
Colossians 1:15-18 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. 17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. 18 And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence. (NKJV)
- Creation Groans waiting for Redemption
Romans 8:20-22 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected [it] in hope; 21 because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. (NKJV)
- Adam’s sin cursed the world Romans 5:12, 19 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned -- 19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man's obedience many will be made righteous. (NKJV)
- The decline and descent of man versus the ascent of Darwin’s man Romans 1:18-32
- All humans are from one blood Acts 17:26 "And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their pre-appointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, (NKJV) So there is one blood for all humans, one color source melanin degrees, many cultures at Babel, one blood that can save all who come.
- Christ as Creator reveals God John 1:1-3, 18 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 18 No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared [Him.] (NKJV)
- Christ said Creation was literally TRUE Matthew 19:4-6 And He answered and said to them, "Have you not read that He who made [them] at the beginning 'made them male and female,' 5 "and said, 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'? 6 "So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate." (NKJV)
• Trust your Creator Revelation 14:7
• Worship your Creator Revelation 4.11
• Seek your Creator Heb11.3,6
• Follow your Creator Col 1
• Obey your Creator more each day Jn 14.15-22; 1J5.1-5
But we know and believe that:
ONE RECORD OF CREATION
This is the Creator's record. This is His explanation of the timing and it is six solar days!
There is only one perfect science book in the world, you hold it in your hands (or at least I hope you do, always bring your copy of God's Word !) All other science books are flawed in that they have not been able to personally record a first hand observation of say the birth of a star, or the origin of a volcano in the earth's center.
The second reason why I believe the Bible is true is because God's Word exhibits complete authenticity though its complete scientific accuracy.
Last week we began to list the incredible accuracy of God's Word when it records scientific facts. First we learned that we should trust the God who explained astrophysics thousands of years before the first astrophysicist! Just two fascinating realms of the makeup of our Universe that these scientists study has to do with are the mysteries of dark matter and gravity. What does the Bible say about Astrophysics?
Next, trust the God who explained geophysics thousands of years before the first geophysicist! Just a few of the fascinating realms of the makeup of Earth that geophysicists study have to do with oceanography, geodesy, and isostasy. What does the Bible say about Geophysics?
We can trust the God who through His Word the Bible, explained oceanography thousands of years before the first oceanographer!
2. Meteorology: is the study of our atmosphere. What has our God of the Bible said about meteorology?
We can trust the God who through His Word the Bible, explained meteorology thousands of years before the first meteorologist!
3. Hydrology: is the study of the amazingly intricate water cycle of the Earth that cleanses and provides life sustaining water to all living things.
We can trust the God who through His Word the Bible, explained hydrology thousands of years before the first hydrologist!
4. Isostasy: is the relatively new study of the rotational balance there is in our global earth between the height of mountains and the depths of the oceans. The desire to understand earthquakes and so on has caused this scientific inquiry. There must be a balance for the earth to not wobble. Did God know about this? He sure does. Listen to Isaiah who wrote 600 years before Christ.
5. Geodesy studies the shape, size and gravitation forces on the planet. Although science thought the world flat for a time the Scriptures have ALWAYS affirmed the truth.
- The fact that the Earth Rotates (turning on an axis) was a fact that up to the 1400’s was absent from science. The thinkers of the day said the earth was flat. The Hindu writings affirm that it rested on the backs of elephants. But God gives Scriptural truth in
Wow, God says the Earth rotates and God says that this planet hangs out suspended in space. That was unknown by science until recent times.
- The fact that the Earth is Round has always been in God's Word.
Isaiah 40:22 [It is] He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants [are] like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in. (NKJV)
- The fact that the Earth has been laid down in layers much like a well built building is the way that God has described the Geology of the Earth.
We can trust the God who through His Word the Bible, explained these precise aspects of geophysics thousands of years before the first geophysicist!
Next, trust the God who explained zoology thousands of years before the first zoologist! The world of animals, birds, and fish is among the most amazing fields of study. But the design elements that reflect a Designer are the most amazing. What does the Bible say about Zoology?
Earlier we talked about Ornithology, or the study of birds, and a subset of zoology the study of living things as they move, feed, and reproduce. What has God's Word said about this area of science?
Job 39:26-30 Doth the hawk fly by thy wisdom, [and] stretch her wings toward the south? 27 Doth the eagle mount up at thy command, and make her nest on high? 28 She dwelleth and abideth on the rock, upon the crag of the rock, and the strong place. 29 From thence she seeketh the prey, [and] her eyes behold afar off. 30 Her young ones also suck up blood: and where the slain [are], there [is] she. (KJV)
The positioning system of migratory creatures, and the precise ability to navigate was not even closely imitated until satellite navigation, yet God placed a highly accurate, transportable, biologically reproducible system into fish, birds and even insects! They arrive with precision against all odds. For just one example, look at one type of salmon.
But how do those 50,000,000 Bristol Bay sockeye salmon get home each year? How do they know the exact time to return to their spawning spot from as far as 4,000 miles away? And to all return every time those same three weeks in June and July! They never miss their mark. Why?
God gave them an absolutely focused sense of direction. God has placed some nearly unbelievable senses into the animal world. Look at migratory birds. They fly thousands of miles exactly to their destination. How? Scientists conclude they have a sense of the earth’s magnetic fields, like an internal compass.
The King of the Universe, our Creator, didn’t leave us out. How’s your compass? Our directional capacity far exceeds the animal world’s awareness of magnetic fields or one part per billion of where we were spawned. Yes each of us who are God’s greatest creations, have a direct line to the Creator. We can actually have Him living within us. We can have Him, our Creator as Guide, Keeper, Protector, Savior, and Redeemer. He starts and finishes all we ever need. LOOK UNTO HIM!
We can trust the God who through His Word the Bible, explained these precise aspects of science thousands of years before the first scientist!
The Laws of Science
First Law of Thermodynamics. There are some rules of operations for our Universe. These are called the laws of thermodynamics. The 1st Law states ‘ultimately nothing is destroyed’. This also means that mass and energy are conserved.
God says Isaiah 40:26 Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these [things], that bringeth out their host by number: he calleth them all by names by the greatness of his might, for that [he is] strong in power; not one faileth. (KJV)
Ecclesiastes 1:10 Is there anything of which one can say, "Look! This is something new"? It was here already, long ago; it was here before our time. (NIV)
So thousands of years before it was discovered God states that He keeps things from ‘missing’ and there is really ‘nothing new’. The 1st Law of Thermodynamics.
2nd Law. The second law of thermodynamics states that although there is a conservation of mass and energy (1st Law) all matter in the Universe is still involved in a breakdown going from order to disorder. Everything in the physical world is declining from the ORDER to CHAOS; and from ENERGY to ENTROPY. The Scriptures affirm this Law although evolution denies it!
Why is everything grinding down to an eventual state of nothingness? Because all of the created Universe has been cursed by sin as it says in Genesis 3. In 1903, the Nobel Prize winning scientist named Herbert Spencer was heralded for his statement on the classification of the knowable universe. He said that science can classify all things as either: Time, Force, Motion, Space or Matter.
Now, hold onto your seats as we look at Genesis 1:1 and apply this Nobel prize winning truth.
Mr. Spencer rediscovered God’s marvelous scientific truths! Have you ever met this Creator? This Genesis 1 account reveals many others truths that will shape your destiny:
- ATHEISM is an error because in the beginning GOD . . .
- POLYTHEISM is an error because it is GOD not gods . . .
- PANTHEISM is an error because GOD is existing prior to ad independent of all matter . . .
- MATERIALISM is an error because GOD makes the matter and is not composed of it...
- FATALISM is an error because here as in all places in the Scriptures GOD acts independently and by His own Sovereign Will and Power...
But the day is coming when the Creator sits as JUDGE.
Then NEW HEAVEN: Revelation 21
Then ETERNITY: Revelation 22.
- HE IS COMING Revelation 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward [is] with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. (KJV)
- HE WILL JUDGE Revelation 22:15 For without [are] dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. (KJV)
- HE IS INVITING Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. (KJV)
In the opening chapters of the Bible Genesis shows us God seeking fallen mankind. At the end of the Scriptures in Revelation 22 He is still seeking. Have you met your Maker?
CALL OUT TO HIM TODAY!
WE CAN SEE OUR CREATOR IN THE COMPARISON OF OUR AIR CONDITIONING TO THE BEEHIVE'S: In order to preserve life in the brood area, the temperature of the beehive is kept at a constant 94o F through its ingenious construction and the activity of the bee "air conditioning engineers." This temperature is maintained even though outside it varies as much as 60 degrees. Who taught the bee air conditioning?
WE CAN SEE OUR CREATOR IN THE COMPARISON OF OUR MECHANICAL PUMPS TO THE HUMAN HEART: What machine can compare with the human heart that pumps 100,000 times every day and has a work expectancy of over 70 years without shutdown for maintenance or repair? Who designed the heart?
WE CAN SEE OUR CREATOR IN THE COMPARISON OF OUR SONAR TO THAT OF THE BAT: Using the same methods submarines use to detect underwater objects, the bat has such a sensitive sonar system that 'it can avoid obstacles and catch flying insects on the darkest nights. Where did the bat learn sonar?
WE CAN SEE OUR CREATOR IN THE COMPARISON OF OUR COMPUTERS TO OUR BRAINS: Your brain is most impressive and extremely complex. It contains many times more nerve lines than all the telephone lines of the world put together. The electrical signals from 200,000 living thermometer cells, a half-million pressure-sensing cells, and 3 or 4 million pain-sensing cells are all routed to the brain, plus the signals from the eyes, ears, nose, and taste buds. An amazing example of miniaturization, the brain sorts, stores and acts upon these myriad impulses. Who built this fantastic "computer"?
WE CAN SEE OUR CREATOR IN THE COMPARISON OF OUR MODERN GUIDANCE SYSTEMS AND MIGRATION OF THE BIRDS AND FISH: The Pacific Golden Plover is an outstanding sea bird which breeds in Alaska but winters fashionably in Hawaii 2,000 miles away over open ocean. More amazing is the tact that several weeks after the parent birds leave, the young follow them-without a guide! Where did the Plover get its guidance system?
WE CAN SEE OUR CREATOR IN THE COMPARISON OF MODERN PHOTOGRAPHY AND THE HUMAN EYE: Built-in supersensitive light meter. Immediate automatic focusing. Wide-angle lens. Full-color instantaneous reproduction. These are some of the remarkable features of the human eye. Who planned and engineered the eye?
These and many other discoveries that men have made are prodigious Scientific achievements and the result of a very high order of intelligence. But since they parallel what nature has been doing for thousands of years, nature's phenomena must also be the result of a very high order of intelligence. The computer, for example, was conceived by man's own 'computer,' the brain. But who conceived the brain? It too would have to be conceived and designed for its special work, otherwise the complexities of thinking would just 'happen" and would therefore be unreliable. Consequently, there must be a prior claim to man's mind. And that claim can only be the mind of the Ultimate Creator, God